Which strategy did you use?
1) Language Warm-Up: During my afterschool homework group I created my own variation of a language warm-up. We were working on counting and manipulating money (mostly change). Prior to beginning the lesson I charted all the names of coins on the board. I said the name once and had the students repeat after me, careful to annunciate each sound and syllable correctly. Next I wrote the value of each coin next to the name of the coin. I then had each student repeat after me, the name then the value (i.e. 1 quarter = $0.25)
Which subject area/grade level? Third grade (mathematics & reading)
How effective was it? After the language warm-up I felt as though all students had a good handle on pronouncing money vocabulary correctly. Now as we progress with our usual math lessons it is exciting to hear my students say the words correctly and use them accurately in a complete sentence!
Any challenges? Not yet. However, I will need to remain aware of the level engagement (are all students interactive and participating in the lesson) and selecting vocabulary that is relevant to the current curriculum and relevant to my students learning. Are the vocabulary words going to contribute to a student’s academic success?
Any suggestions to make it a better learning experience for your students? My goal is to incorporate this learning strategy more often and into more of my lessons. I like that the language warm-up does not have to be limited to a specific subject. I feel as though you could incorporate a language warm-up regardless of the subject you teach.
No comments:
Post a Comment