Friday, November 12, 2010

Post of Mary Beth Bloom

Which strategy did you use? Language Warm-up-Repeat after me
·          Which subject area/grade level? 7th Science
·          How effective was it? Very
·          Any challenges? On some words it is difficult to move the mouth from one sound to another. So, I over-exaggerate the movements with the kids watching. They think it is silly fun!
·          Any suggestions to make it a better learning experience for your students? We played a little bit with finding rhyming words to further practice the new sounds.

3 comments:

  1. So, when you did this, you didn't do it with the basic primary sounds? What types of words did you use? We're going into some particular tricky vocabulary in Geometry and maybe I should try this. (Scalene, Isosceles etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Rae Dewberry

    This is a response to Mary Beth Bloom: I loved the idea of making your exercise “silly fun”. I think we all need to make our classes more “fun” for the students. I seem to find myself so concerned with discipline, I forget the fun part. Thanks for the reminder…Rae Dewberry

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Nora Johnston

    “Moving the mouth from one sound to another” sometimes can be challenging, especially for English Language Learners AND for people who have spoken English several years, but have become sloppy with it.

    Being a musician, I have found that sometimes saying something in a “sing-songy” manner helps, or going ahead and turning a phrase or statement into a poem/song. When students (anyone, for that matter) hear and recite something in poem and/or song form, somehow the rhythm and melody help it stick! The syllabication that’s involved with this actually helps clarity and diction as well. I still remember old jump rope rhymes from elementary school, OR a states and capitals song, or multiplication songs (to remember math facts).

    Thanks for sharing what worked for you and your students.

    ReplyDelete