Which strategy?
Choral Repetition - I had students repeat geographic terms and definitions back to me until they had them by memory. These vocab words mostly involved landforms (such as isthmus and peninsula).
Which subject area?
6th Grade Social Studies (World History and Geography)
How effective?
This technique proved to be successful…for most. There were a few “spectators” who didn’t/wouldn’t participate. Perhaps they thought it was too ‘childish’ for them, and they just wanted to observe for the time being (hopefully, they will get on board with it). Generally speaking, though, I was pleased the next day when several could hardly wait to show me that they could still recite the definitions from memory.
Challenges?
Again, the ones who don’t want to engage – no matter how “fun” and enthusiastic you try to be. How do you reach and light a fire under these select few?
Suggestions for better learning experience?
Next time, which will likely be tomorrow, I plan on repeating the same procedure, and hope for ALL students to participate. I could also speak the definition clearly, ask them to write the vocabulary term on a big piece of paper, then (on the count of three) have them ALL hold it up where I can see everybody’s word at once, written dark, big, and spelled correctly. This would be a quick assessment, to check for understanding and engagement. Since they need the practice speaking the words/terms clearly, I will have them all say the term as they hold the written word up. Does this seem too elementary?
From Jill Mettler
ReplyDeleteHow effective?
“Generally speaking, though, I was pleased the next day when several could hardly wait to show me that they could still recite the definitions from memory.”
I had the same response from my students: they were excited to show that they remembered the words we had recited in Language warm up the previous day. We actually used phrases such as “To show future tense, use the helping verb will”. Then on the assessment they all did a great job on that part!
I would think that having them write out the word is a great carryover and check since you are tapping into another modality for expressive language. I would run with it as long as it doesn't take up that much more time.
ReplyDelete