Wednesday, December 1, 2010

From Jamie Jay Week #2

· Which strategy did you use?

Verb Tenses – Present Progressive Tense

· Which subject area/grade level?

4th Grade – Language Arts

· How effective was it?

It was very interesting to see the students work. Some of them really got into it, while others… didn’t. After we’d finished creating senteces together they went and wrote a few of their own, however I had about five students (not even my lowest) who didn’t follow the formula. When I asked them if they had they all replied, “what formula?” even though one of those students had created a sentence for the class.

· Any challenges?

As I said above, it was a struggle to get the students to actually use the formulas. Another struggle is that my classroom is 100% not set up for this type of activity. I had to tape the paper to my blinds to get them up on the wall. I really just don’t have anywhere to do this activity. Another challenge was the number of students I have. Between the desks and the furniture in my room (which really, isn’t a lot – 27 student desks, overhead, round table, computer desks, my desk and two bookshelves) we have very little room to gather as 27 students strong.

· Any suggestions to make it a better learning experience for your students?

I would probably do this as a small group activity and have the poster be much smaller. That way I wouldn’t have so many students zoning out. 12 seems like the biggest group I’d want to do this with again.

No comments:

Post a Comment