Thursday, December 2, 2010

From Jill Mettler Week #2

Jill Mettler Week #2 – Nov. 29, 2010
Using the Present Perfect Tense Strategy
Each Monday, we begin a new language arts lesson in our Treasures book. New vocabulary, spelling, grammar, and a comprehension graphic organizer are all a part of the weekly lesson. In the textbook, there is a picture used for the “Talk About It” which is an introduction to students for the weekly lesson. I used that picture to create the chart for my students.
I had written the objective, part of speech, explanation, and formula on chart paper. I attached a large paper where we listed singular subject on one side and past participle verb on the other side. These were generated by students from the beautiful picture in the Treasures book which each student had opened in front of them. .
We proceeded through the strategy as we had practiced in class last Thursday. Here are some of the sentences they came up with:
*The Native American has talked to the little girl.
*He has shown his daughter the beautiful feathers.
*She has smiled because she created her own costume.
*The earring has looked like shiny copper but now is has turned to a dull green.
Students seemed to get a lot more out of the “Talk About It” using this strategy. Usually I generate questions about the picture (often given in the teacher’s guide) to create engagement in the story. The students appeared to be more focused and very eager to participate using this new strategy. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so neat Jill! I feel that the structure and the routine expectation of reading together is really helpful. And I'm sure that it's helpful too that the students are looking at the picture in the Treasure textbook, so they all have an opportunity to catch all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about doing it this way too! I ended up shying away from it because I am not doing my Treasures Unit this week. I love how the resources are good. :D

    ReplyDelete