Monday, December 6, 2010

Post of Jocelyn Espinosa Week #2

Okay, so I had a fun session yesterday.



I first used a dry erase board in this instance because I was running short on prep time. I actually started off with a review of the alphabet and the sounds of the alphabet since he has a slight speech issue and I thought that reviewing the sounds would be a quick warmup. This activity was pretty smooth for my one student (the groupmate was absent) and I was impressed with how the sounds flowed in unison as we said them together. I was clueless as to the lovely surprise that awaited me. So I reviewed the objective for creating sentences in the present progressive tense in the declarative formula. I followed the I read-we read pattern. Then I read the example sentences. I proceeded to have him select a picture card, for which we generated 5 subjects and 5 verbs. We then generated the first sentence together and he formulated the second sentence independently. It was at this point when he stated, “Hey, I’ve done this before! Yeah, over the summer.” No wonder he seemed to catch on so quickly, especially given that I was previewing this with him specifically before I did with the entire class, since he’s my slowest learned of the group. We went ahead and generated one more sentence.



With the two sentences completed, I proceeded to combine the two sentences into one to target his personal goal of formulating more complex sentences. The final sentence: The girl, who is holding a cupcake, is blowing the long, yellow candle strongly.



I asked him if he would be my helper when I do this with his class and he accepted! I feel so lucky that he’s been exposed to this program because I think he feels confident. And this student has given me a hard time in the past, esp when he feels he doesn’t understand something; he’s a pretty slow processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment