Here is my response (kinda late, I know). Hope you have a few min to post it. If not, I understand.
What strategy?
Verb Tense Study: Present Perfect Tense
Which subject and grade level?
6th Grade Social Studies (World History – Classic Greece (specifically Alexander the Great)
How effective?
The lesson was effective with some in the classroom, but not with all. I’ll have to work at engaging ALL students at one time. Because I have several of the gifted students in my Social Studies classes, there are some high achievers in there. Because they were really getting into the vocabulary and fabulous sentences, I was getting excited right along with them and, unfortunately, leaving other students in the dust. Any suggestions out there as to how we might challenge AEP-type-students and meet the needs of struggling students, all at once with a lesson like this?
After the lesson, I then had them each write a couple of sentences (following the formula) on index cards
Challenges?
Yes, as stated above, I need help with reaching the ones who still struggle with subject/predicate, much less subject + has + past participle + ROS.
All students were very unenthused with repeating the objective. Any ideas as to how I can make that more exciting? J
Suggestions for better learning experience next time?
I need to spend more time having students individually coming up to underline or circle parts of speech in the sentences.
I made sure to pull sticks when I did this so I didn't leave anyone out. It was really easy for them to be forgotten if they're sleepy or bored or confused to just not come in.
ReplyDelete